Clyde Valley Raceway

Friday, September 07, 2007

Well... It's been over a year since I finished the table, and I finally decided that I really should make a start on the actual track.

I had thought of using a flexible "fence" (read: plastic pipe) and screwing it down at 2" intervals, however, the test cuts weren't very satisfactory, so I relented and simplified the layout somewhat, so I could use a radius arm instead. If I'd stuck to the original plan, I'd have needed to construct centre points for the radius arm somewhere through walls etc. so discretion (or rather practicality) was the better part of valour...

With the help of a friend, the routing seems to be going remarkably smoothly and so far, no major hiccups. We've routed the first sheet of 5'x10' MDF already and nearly finished the second.

The next stage will be to build the risers for the back straight and cut out a rough outline of the track edges. If I get some time I'll post some photos and let you see what's happening...